Mar 4, 2010

{buffalo chicken chili}


Whoah mamma this was spicy! Dawn over at Vanilla Sugar posted this recipe and talked about how she had been sick and needed something spicy to open up her sinuses. If this chili didn't do it, I don't know what would. Salsa, spicey bbq sauce and jalepenos...need I say more?

Recipe and pics after the jump
Instead of cooking everything individually like the recipe calls for, I threw it all into the crock pot and let it cook on High for 4 hours. I'm not a huge fan of blue cheese anything so we left that off and topped it with some sour cream and cheddar cheese. Tostitos scoops were the perfect vehicle to get this spicy dish into my mouth.


Now, I said this was spicy, and I meant it. Even John thought it was too much so, after having it for dinner I took the rest and added a can of stewed tomatoes to it to try and bring down the hotness level. It helped but the chili was still incredibly spicey. Next time I plan to make it with mild salsa and regular BBQ sauce. The combination of everything should be spicey enough but not so much so that it has you putting a dollop of sour cream on each bite.

buffalo chicken chili

{adapted from Vanilla Sugar; serves: 8-12}
2 chicken breasts
salt + pepper to taste
1 large red onion, diced
3 - 5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 chopped carrots
1 TB ground cumin
2 jars of salsa (I recommend getting mild salsa)
1/2 cup bbq sauce (again I recommend a non spicy version)
couple big squirts of ketchup
1/4 cup of Coke
2-3 small jalapenos, chopped
1 - 2 TB honey
1 can black beans
1 can red kidney beans
A little fresh lime juice

Start by chopping your onion, garlic, carrots and jalapenos. Dump them into your crockpot along with everything else except the chicken. Stir it around.

Salt and pepper the chicken breasts then place them on top of everything. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.

Before serving, pull out your chicken breasts and shred them. Put them back in the pot and mix up all the goodness.

Serve alone or with some sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and tostitos. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis