Jun 22, 2010

{stuffed yellow squash}

Yellow squash is in season! Yay for color and something new! I've seen several stuffed squash recipes that looked delicious so I figured it would be easy to mix up something on my own. I have to say that this recipe turned out just wonderfully. In fact, we have now added it to our list of favorites. We ate this on its own and it was just barely filling enough. Next time I think I'll add in a side of veggies or a salad to help complete the meal even more.

The goat cheese added a nice flavor to the overal taste but when I try this again, I think adding in even more goat cheese and/or sour cream will help keep the meat a little more moist. Once I had combined all of the ingredients, I realized that I could have gotten away with using even less than 1/4 lb of beef since there were so many other things going into the mix. As the summer veggies continue to come into season, I think we will be trying several different variations of this...I could see using chicken, tomatoes, zucchini and peppers with some italian spices. mmmm, I'm hungry.

Recipe after the jump

stuffed yellow squash

serves 4

ingredients

4 medium yellow squash
5 small to medium carrots
1/4 lb ground beef
1 onion
1/2 cup parsley (I used the carrot top for this)
1 cup beat greens (you could use kale, spinach or whatever green you like)
couple dashes of cinnamon
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup goat cheese (or any soft cheese)
salt to taste
pepper to taste

directions

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Slice the squash in half and scoop out the seeds to make a hole for the stuffing. Spray with a little olive oil and place onto a cookie sheet.

In a pan, cook the ground beef until done. Drain and add in the beat greens. Toss around and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

In a bowl, place the chopped carrots, onion, parsley, sour cream, goat cheese, cinnamon, salt, pepper and meat mixture.  Stir until combined.

Scoop mixture into the hallowed out squash and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until the squash is fork soft.


No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis