Jan 6, 2011

{creamy loaded baked potato soup}

Its been nice and chilly outside giving me the perfect opportunity to use my crock pot to make all sorts of stews and soups. This week I attempted a loaded potato soup and I must say that it came out pretty delicious. I was all out of cheddar cheese so there is none in the soup but I felt it tasted just as good as if it had it in there. Leaving it out also made it a good bit healthier! If you have cheese I'd say leave it out of the soup but maybe add a little on top with the sour cream and bacon crumbles. Serve this up with a delicious sandwich or salad and you have a meal to warm you on these cold winter nights.

Recipe after the jump

{creamy loaded baked potato soup}

recipe adapted from: Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever by Diane Phillips


2 medium leeks, finely chopped, using the white and some of the tender green parts
6 medium yukon gold potatoes
4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup soy creamer
6 green onions, finely chopped, using the white and some of the tender greens parts

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional, I left this out)

8 strips bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled (save some for the topping)
salt and pepper to taste

cheddar cheese
bacon crumbles
sour cream


Combine the leeks, potatoes, chicken broth and some salt and pepper in your slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 5 - 6 hours until the potatoes are tender. Using an immersion blender, purée the soup or cool the soup and purée it in a blender.*

Reduce heat to low and add the soy milk, soy creamer, cheese if you're including it, green onions and bacon. Cover and cook for an additional 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve the soup with a bit of sour cream, bacon crumbles and cheddar cheese. Enjoy!

*My immersion blender was on its way to me in the mail so I did the blender method....if you do not cool the soup be super super careful because it will explode hot liquid out the top (I learned the painful way).

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting potato soup for while, and this post did. not. help. I just haven't managed to get to the grocery store for leeks. My recipe looks very similar to yours. Mmmm..... potato soup.